Public Access Computers
Computers are available for use at all Orange County Library locations. Computer use is free for all library cardholders who are residents or property owners in the Orange County Library District. Out of Library District residents (including reciprocal borrower card holders), who wish to use the computers, must register for a PC Pass. The pass costs $10 and expires after seven days. A single use one-hour Express Pass is available for $5. Photo ID is required.
Computers provide access to the Library catalog, Internet, Microsoft Office (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.), reference information and learning games for children including TuxPaint, Blue's Clues School, Ancient History, I Spy Fantasy, Exploring the World of Thomas Day, Inspiration 7.5, Little Bill Thinks Big, and Zoo Tycoon. Reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis and are generated using timing software that automatically reserves the next available computer. Reservations can be made for 60-minute sessions.
At the Main Library's second floor Technology and Education Center (formerly CRC) there are computers with a full range of products including Microsoft Office, the Internet and Soundforge audio editing software. In reference departments there are computers for accessing the library catalog and electronic reference sources. Club Central provides teens access to computers containing Microsoft Office, the Internet and Soundforge. The Children's Library offers both Internet stations and computers with learning games.
Library branches offer a mixture of catalog stations and full service computers.
Computers with assistive technology for visually challenged patrons are available at the main library and all branches. There are two available at the main library and one at each branch. Each computer offers JAWS, MAGic, and OpenBook software.
Instructional classes are scheduled from time to time and staff assistance is always available for basic computer support. All locations offer black and white printing at $.15 per page and sell diskettes for $1.
Please ask for more information about computer reservations at any service desk.
For success in using library computers with timing software note that...
- You must sign-in within five minutes of your designated start time or the software will automatically cancel your reservation.
- Timing software controls the length of your computer session -- be sure to heed onscreen warnings.
- Do not press CTRL-ALT-DELETE because your session will end and cannot be restarted.
- If you leave your computer or do not use the keyboard or mouse for five minutes, your session will automatically end.
- Do not click on the word "DONE" unless you are completely finished and ready to end your session.
- If you want to save your work, have a disk ready before your session starts. Disks are available for purchase ($1) at the check-out desk.
- When your session ends, the computer automatically shuts down, anything not saved to a disk is lost and cannot be retrieved.
- Nothing can be saved to the hard drive.
- Black and white printouts are $.15 per page. Color prints are $1 and available at the downtown (Main) library. Printouts at the Main Library can be paid for and retrieved with a Value Card or Orange County Library card.