The Herndon Branch opened to the public in November 1998 on East Colonial Drive. The branch bears the name Herndon due to the nearby Orlando Executive Airport, which for many years was named Herndon Airport in honor of Albert B. Herndon, a long-time city engineer who moved to Orlando in 1914.
This location has an interesting history. In the mid-90s, it housed a major bookstore outlet. The location, size, and 2-story glass foyer were easily recognized as an attractive setting for a branch library. Only 3.5 miles from downtown, the library has ample parking near retail centers and restaurants, making it a popular spot for information, imagination, and inspiration.
Special thanks to Tony Ortiz, City of Orlando District 2 Commissioner, for providing a bike rack for the Herndon Branch.
The library collection includes books, audio books on CD, mp3 and Playaway formats, informational and entertainment DVDs, and recorded music..
Public computers for Internet access, word processing, and online reference resources, including the Library catalog.
The branch has one Early Literacy Stations™ (ELS) which is a self-contained, bilingual, educational computer for children, with over 56 top-rated educational software programs spanning seven curricular areas.
One meeting room is available for public use by groups. Please contact the branch for more information.
Enjoy regularly scheduled Story Programs each week. Tiny Tales for Babies ages Birth to 18 months, Toddler Time for ages 18 to 36 months, and Storybook Fun for Preschoolers, ages 3 to 5 years.